Monday, February 12, 2007

Float Like A Drew and Sting Like A Brown!!!


My guest this week was Drew Brown, motivator, actor, musician and my brother. I didn't share with you that Drew's father, was the innovator of the phrase popularized by Muhammed Ali, "Float Like A Butterfly, Sting Like a Bee". (The title of this article is a spin off of the saying). Drew's passion for the subject was electrifying, and contagious-like. Here's some of what Drew said on the topic, "The Effects of the I Have Made It Attitude" ---- in my own words, with some personal additions. 1) The Slave Strives to Imitate the Slave Master, because that's the limit of his reality. 2) People that have "made it" --- middle and upper class --- strive to imitate the oppressor. Once that's achieved that's it. The goal has been reached. The attitude becomes I've Got Mine, Now You Get Yours. 3) Why do we use all these divisive terms, minority, blacks, African Americans? Do we know who we are? Should those who have made it assume a greater responsiblity for this lack of identity? 4) We must embrace our youth. Every youth is capable of achieving great things. Learn more about Drew at his website.

No comments: