Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Challenges Confronting HBCU's in Maryland with President Richardson

Who better to address this topic than the President of Morgan State University, one of the 114 Historically Black Colleges and Universities in the nation, Dr. Earl Richardson. The good doctor and I spent about 50 minutes addressing the subject matter on this past week's Called2Action.
I was initially inspired to have Dr. Richardson join me after I heard on another radio station that Morgan State University, (MSU) was upset that the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) had gotten an Engineering program. The report stated that MSU's engineering program would suffer because there were now two HBCU's with engineering programs in the state of Maryland. When I heard that report it sounded so idiotic that I thought I should make an effort to have the President to address this. President Richardson shared with me that he was proud to hear that UMES had received this program. In his 23 years at MSU he has worked for all HBCU's to have program and to receive adequate funding to operate. In my own words, HBCU's get the shaft; they are given programs and inadequate funding and then they are evaluated as if funding was adequate. The Higher Education Commission, (MHEC), which is responsible for planning educational endeavors in the state of Maryland has assumed a political role, which has not worked in our interest. Again these are my words and not Dr. Richardson's. By the way MSU, unlike UMES is not a part of the University system. I wonder what role does the Chancellor have in this, by the way who appoints the Chancellor and who appoints MHEC? Do you catch where I'm headed. Thanks Dr. Richardson for sharing this information.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: